As the year comes to an end, it’s time to reflect on the movies that took the world by storm and captured our hearts. While movie theaters took a hit due to the pandemic, streaming giant Netflix thrived, giving us some truly amazing films to watch. Here are the top 10 must-watch Netflix movies of the year:
1. The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) – Directed by Aaron Sorkin, this courtroom drama is based on the true story of a group of anti-Vietnam protestors who were charged with inciting a riot at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. The film features an outstanding cast including Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Mark Rylance.
2. Da 5 Bloods (2020) – Directed by Spike Lee, this movie tells the story of four African-American veterans who return to Vietnam to find the remains of their fallen squad leader and the treasure they buried during the war. The movie explores themes of friendship, loyalty, and healing.
3. The Old Guard (2020) – Adapted from the comic book series of the same name, this action-packed movie follows a group of immortal warriors who have been fighting for centuries to protect the world from evil. The film stars Charlize Theron, who delivers a fierce performance as the leader of the group.
4. The Midnight Sky (2020) – Directed by and starring George Clooney, this sci-fi movie is set in a post-apocalyptic world where a lone scientist tries to warn a group of astronauts about the devastating conditions on Earth. The movie is a slow-burn but packs an emotional punch.
5. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (2020) – Based on the play by August Wilson, this film is a tribute to the legendary blues singer Ma Rainey, played by Viola Davis. The movie explores themes of race, music, and power and features a memorable performance by the late Chadwick Boseman.
6. I’m Thinking of Ending Things (2020) – Directed by Charlie Kaufman, this psychological thriller follows a young woman who goes on a road trip with her boyfriend to visit his parents. As strange things begin to happen, she starts to question everything she thought she knew about her relationship. The movie is unsettling and bizarre but definitely worth a watch.
7. Enola Holmes (2020) – Based on the book series by Nancy Springer, this movie follows the adventures of Enola Holmes, the teenage sister of Sherlock Holmes. Played by Millie Bobby Brown, Enola is a smart and spunky heroine who sets out to find her missing mother.
8. The Devil All the Time (2020) – Set in rural Ohio in the 1960s, this movie tells the story of a young man who sets out to protect his family from the corrupt and violent characters that inhabit his town. The film boasts an impressive cast including Tom Holland, Robert Pattinson, and Sebastian Stan.
9. The White Tiger (2020) – Based on the novel by Aravind Adiga, this movie follows the journey of an ambitious driver from a small village in India who rises to power and wealth in the big city. The film is a biting commentary on social inequality and the corrupt nature of the Indian class system.
10. Soul (2020) – Directed by Pete Docter, this animated movie tells the story of a music teacher who gets the chance to pursue his lifelong dream of playing at a famous jazz club. Along the way, he discovers the true meaning of life and what it means to have a soul. The movie is heartwarming and visually stunning, making it a must-watch for all ages.
In conclusion, 2020 may have been a difficult year, but it gave us some truly remarkable movies that entertained, inspired, and challenged us. Whether you’re a fan of action, drama, comedy, or animation, there’s something on this list for everyone. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy some of the best movies Netflix had to offer this year.